About Us

 Welcome to SDCI
 

Thank you for visiting our website. Strathroy District Collegiate Institute is currently situated on the outskirts of Strathroy, Ontario. We are located on our fifth site. Public secondary education in Strathroy dates back to 1861. On September 3, 2002 over 1000 students, staff and alumni walked with our director, Bill Bryce from the old school site at 96 Kittridge Street some 3.2 kilometres to our new building at 361 Second Street. We walked behind our huge student made banner declaring that "SDCI LIVES ON."

SDCI is a public district secondary school within the Thames Valley District School Board. It has approximately 1250 students and 90 teachers. 

Our students come from the local township of Strathroy-Caradoc as well as Mount Brydges and surrounding rural areas. SDCI offers a full academic program to a wide variety of students. In addition to our tradition of academic excellence in the core subjects we also offer full programs in business and computers, technology, music, drama, visual arts, family studies and co-operative education. SDCI has gifted and enriched courses as well as programs in French immersion and Developmental Education. Our students graduate in order to enter university, college or the work place.

We are proud of our school and its long history of providing a first class education to the citizens of Strathroy-Caradoc. We are proud of our many famous graduates from Sir Arthur Currie to J.T. Shotwell. 

 

 General School Description

Since 1914, SDCI has been home to the Saints of Strathroy.  Students from the town and a widespread rural area walk, drive or are bused to this semestered composite secondary school in order to take a wide variety of programs including a gifted program, a French Immersion program, technology programs, and all of the courses necessary for students wishing to pursue a post secondary education or to go directly to work.  The blue and gold have a rich tradition in the extra curricular activities of sports, music and drama.   

In September 2002, this historic building was replaced by a brand new school at the north east corner of Strathroy.  The new SDCI is part of a joint intitiative shared by the Thames Valley District School Board, the London Catholic School Board and the town of Strathroy.  The opportunities for students to learn will be greatly enhanced not only by this new facility, but because of the strength that each of the partners brings to this new educational venture.

School Goal 

Using authentic connections, our students will improve their critical thinking and problem solving skills.

History

Secondary education first became available in Strathroy when the Strathroy Grammar School was established in 1861 and classes began upstairs in the Colborne Street School.

In October 1874 the High School, as it had become by this time, was raised to the status of a Collegiate Institute as a result of a request made by the Board of Trustees to the Lieutenant Governor of Ontario. The original building, on the present site, called Quality Hill, was officially opened in February 1914.

In 1949 the first addition was built to make possible the teaching of Industrial Arts and Home Economics. The rapid rise in school population and the formation of the Secondary School District taking in the townships of Adelaide, Caradoc, Lobo, Metcalfe and the town of Strathroy in 1949 soon made further enlargement necessary. In 1955 a gymnasium was added and the space formerly used for the auditorium and for physical education was converted into classrooms and laboratories. A cafeteria was constructed along with new teachers' rooms and classrooms and in 1959 additional classrooms, laboratories and staff rooms were added. 

In 1968, under the federal-provincial agreement to share costs of vocational additions to secondary schools across Canada, a large addition consisting of eight classrooms, two commercial rooms, two laboratories, six shops along with additions to the gymnasium and cafeteria was completed. 

A second major addition, which provided two shops, a third gymnasium, technical and commercial classrooms, library, guidance, and office facilities, was added in 1970.

It was at this time that the school was declared an historic site by the Archaeological and Historic Sites Board of Ontario commemorating the fact that General Sir Arthur Currie had been a student in the school. General Currie went on to become the first General officer commanding the Canadian Corps during World War I and served as Principal and Vice-Chancellor of McGill University from 1920 until his death in 1933.

A building project, opened in 1973, provided two additional science rooms as well as a combined music and theatre arts room.

Administration

Steph Hambides, Principal

Brad Milne, Vice-Principal (A-L)

Christine Holmes, Vice-Principal (M-Z)

Karen Wilkinson, Superintendent

Dana Parsons, School Council Chair

 

Contact Us